16 December, 2010

geotech testing for the Legacy of Debt


Campbell Newman
Lord Mayor
Brisbane City Council

Dear Lord Mayor,

It is 12:06 am (GMT+10) on Thursday 16 December 2010, as I write this email to you.

I arrived home from work at 10:00 pm.

For the last half an hour, a bloke with a sledge hammer has been banging steel on steel on the remains of Ithaca Street which is now part of the Inner City Bypass (ICB).

This demonstrates a number of things to me:

A) how inconsiderate the proponents of the Northern Link Tunnel are;
B) how ineffectual the existing noise barriers that separate my precinct from the ICB are:
C) a taste of things to come when construction of the Northern Link Tunnel begins in earnest.
D) how useless my political representatives at State and Local level have been as advocates for my community

I realise that I was advised in a very polite letter and an email about the commencement of Geotechnical testing.

I am reminded of the following extract from Douglas Adam's book: the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

"Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there, and what's so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get there. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be. Point D wasn't anywhere in particular, it was just any convenient point a very long way from points A, B and C"

When some one bangs steel on steel in the middle of the night in close proximity to my house, it makes it difficult for me to sleep and it makes me feel the amenity of my precinct (Point B) is less important to the Brisbane City Council than those who live at Points A, B or D.


regards,

Rowan Barber

No comments:

Post a Comment