13 March, 2011

Baked Development

Danielle Crismani inspires me.

"My name is Rowan and I am a petroleum industry process engineer, it has been 6 years since I last drove a car."


This is my petroleum anonymous statement of affirmation.

I have been pondering the difference between "relief" and "development"

Elizabeth Webb Brown - the CEO of EWB wrote recently:

These events remind us of the critical importance of disaster preparedness and the subsequent humanitarian response. EWB continues its work to support long-term community development projects. In doing so, we aim to build the technical capacity of disadvantaged communities. In time, we believe this process will also improve their resilience to events like these ones we’ve witnessed over the past two months. EWB is also working in close partnership with RedR, as they work to support communities in the wake of natural disasters and conflict – www.redr.org.au.


My ambition is to work in international development but this is unlikely while I raise infants. So, the best thing I can do for the international community is encourage sustainable living in my own community.

I would love to see Baked Relief move beyond relief and work to subvert the dominant paradigms of the industrial food system. Food Connect is halfway there but we need to learn to cook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment