17 June, 2012

rio plus 20


In the opening lines of Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest, he writes:

"...people are curious to know what is happening in their world, but no speaker wants to leave an auditorium depressed, however dark and frightening a tomorrow is predicted by the science that studies the rate of environmental loss. To be sanguine about the future, however, requires a plausible basis for constructive action: you cannot describe possibilities for that future unless the present problem is accurately defined  ....."


This week will see more than 100 Heads of State gather in Rio de Janeiro for the third World Summit on Sustainable Development: "Rio Plus 20".  I won't be there in person but I have Peter Allen playing in my head and my two year old has loaned me her maracas.  My beloved wife and my two daughters keep smiling at me.....





When my Baby, When my baby smiles at me I go to Rio De Janeiro 
My-oh me-oh 
I go wild then I have to do the samba, then la Bamba 
Now I'm not the kind of person with a passionate persuasion for dancin' or romancin' 
But I give in to the rhythm and my feet follow the beat of my heart 

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me 
I go to Rio, De Janeiro 
Me salsa fellow 
When my baby smiles at me 
She shines the lanterns of my life 
And I am free at last what a blast! 
Whoa 

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me 

No comments:

Post a Comment